Be A Better Writer--ASK ME ANYTHING

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Be A Better Writer--ASK ME ANYTHING

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Lillian, did you google "servanthood"? It comes right up.

Loved your entry, by the way. :)

The Bear
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Cinnamon Bear wrote:Lillian, did you google "servanthood"? It comes right up.
I thought I did, but I guess I didn't. That little red line is staring at me even now, before I hit submit. How dare it disappear. Shame on Microsoft! :lol:

Thanks for your kind words. They help to minimize my embarrassment. :oops:

Blessings,

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

As a spell checker, Microsoft is limited to the words in its dictionary. Whenever it redlines a word I believe to be correct, I double check by googling the word.

Cinnamon Bear :)
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Jan, I have been meaning to ask you about speech tags. It is my understanding that it is best to avoid their use. Instead, show who is speaking by describing their actions or perhaps by a distinctive dialect.

If this is correct, are there occasions when a speech tag is necessary? And if we do use a tag, is it best to use "said"? Or is it best to use a more descriptive tag such as "whispered" or "shouted"?

Finally, am I correct in thinking that tags such as "she laughed" or "he smirked" shouldn't be used as tags, because we can't literally laugh or smirk our words. :)

Please forgive me if you have covered this topic in an earlier lesson. I scrolled through the threads but didn't see it.

(While writing this post, I've googled comma usage about five times. Still not sure they are correct. :? )

Cinnamon Bear
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Cinnamon Bear wrote:Jan, I have been meaning to ask you about speech tags. It is my understanding that it is best to avoid their use. Instead, show who is speaking by describing their actions or perhaps by a distinctive dialect.

If this is correct, are there occasions when a speech tag is necessary? And if we do use a tag, is it best to use "said"? Or is it best to use a more descriptive tag such as "whispered" or "shouted"?

Finally, am I correct in thinking that tags such as "she laughed" or "he smirked" shouldn't be used as tags, because we can't literally laugh or smirk our words. :)

Please forgive me if you have covered this topic in an earlier lesson. I scrolled through the threads but didn't see it.

(While writing this post, I've googled comma usage about five times. Still not sure they are correct. :? )

Cinnamon Bear
This is as much a question of style and preference as one of correctness--some people like to use speech tags, and some people avoid them altogether. Most like to use a combination of speech tags and "action" tags (or no tags at all).

Most readers skip over speech tags, so it's best not to get too fancy. I'd say that you should very rarely--if ever--use a speech tag + an adverb, like this:

"That brownie was delicious," Jan exclaimed enthusiastically.

It's better to use Jan's actual words to show the reader how she felt about the brownie, rather than using to words that inform the reader.

"That brownie must have been made by the best pastry chef in the world!" said Jan.

If you're going to use speech tags, you'll find many writers and editors who recommend sticking to "said" for the most part. Again, let the character's words show their emotion. There are times when you just have to use a "muttered" or a "whispered," but they should be relatively rare.

If you're going to use "laughed" or "smirked" or some other word that isn't a kind of vocalization, it's best to put it in its own sentence: an action tag.

WRONG: "This brownie is simply outstanding," Jan gulped, licking her fingers.
RIGHT: "This brownie is simply outstanding." Jan gulped the last bite, then licked her fingers.

Note the punctuation, too. If there's a dialogue tag at the end of a sentence and it contains a "said"-type word, use a comma inside the end quotes. If it's a complete sentence, use a period.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Thanks, Jan. That clarifies things for me.

The Bear
RachelM
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by RachelM »

WriterFearNot wrote:Though I don't have experience with queries, I've found a few resources that look good:

The Steve Laube Agency (at: http://stevelaube.com/) At this website, you can find many great blog articles about writing queries and a great many other writing subjects. I signed up for their daily emails which I find informative and helpful.

Writing Fiction for Dummies, by Randy Ingermanson. This book has a lot of great information for fiction writing, including how to write a query. (This book was recommended to me by author Leslie Gould when I met her at the FW conference in Portland. I found this book very helpful for writing the synopsis I wrote for my Page Turner entry).

I also like The First Five Pages, by Noah Lukeman. There's nothing about query letter in here, but the book has a lot of good information on how to make your manuscript presentable and appealing.

Theresa
Thanks, Theresa! This is great info. I checked out The Steve Laube Agency and signed up for their daily emails.

I actually have Writing Fiction For Dummies (and I've read it) but I forgot how much great stuff is in there. I'm going to go through it again, and I know that it will be even more helpful for me now than when I read it before.

God bless!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

I have a question about Pro Writing Aid. It seems to be related to Grammarly and both appear to slow my computer down to a crawl. Before I give up using them, do you have a suggestion that might remedy this problem? I can't find anything on the Internet, so would very much appreciate any suggestions or tested out ideas. Thanks in advance!

Catherine
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

lookinup wrote:I have a question about Pro Writing Aid. It seems to be related to Grammarly and both appear to slow my computer down to a crawl. Before I give up using them, do you have a suggestion that might remedy this problem? I can't find anything on the Internet, so would very much appreciate any suggestions or tested out ideas. Thanks in advance!

Catherine
Catherine, I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a suggestion--maybe if you make this question its own post and put it in the 'General Writing Discussion' forum, you'll reach the notice of someone with experience with Pro Writing Aid.

I will say that Grammarly doesn't seem to have slowed my computer at all, so maybe the problem is with your computer?

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you.
lookinup
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by lookinup »

Thanks much, Jan. I will.
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs
AnnaBanana
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by AnnaBanana »

'I don't know if it's too late to post here,but I was wondering if you have done or will do a lesson on flashbacks? I'd like to more about how they should be written and if they are appropriate for short stories.
Blessings,
Rachel
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

AnnaBanana wrote:'I don't know if it's too late to post here,but I was wondering if you have done or will do a lesson on flashbacks? I'd like to more about how they should be written and if they are appropriate for short stories.

I'll put it on the list! The list isn't too long right now, so it should show up sometime in the next month or two.
AnnaBanana
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by AnnaBanana »

Great, thanks! (I figured out a different angle to the challenge this week so it's easier to wait. :D )
Blessings,
Rachel

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”