Be A Better Writer -- FREE FOR ALL

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Be A Better Writer -- FREE FOR ALL

Post by glorybee »

I’m taking a vacation from these lessons for about two months. I’ve got quite a full schedule for the next several weeks, including two vacations (Florida and Alaska), a short-term (but full-time) job scoring standardized tests online, some family visiting from another state, and a few weekends with my granddaughter. So until the beginning of August (maybe the end of July), I won’t be posting lessons here, either new or recycled.

However, I’m not too busy to check in a few times a day, and to answer any questions or respond to any comments you may have. As always, I welcome suggestions for new writing topics. If you have some time on your hands, you might want to visit some of the previous lessons in this forum. I’ll get an email notification if you post a response, even on older threads, and if you post something that calls for an answer from me, I’ll be happy to respond.

Just a reminder, for those of you who are new-ish: I know at least a little bit about the following topics, and I welcome your questions.

1. The FaithWriters Writing Challenge—judging, entering, improving your performance
2. Editing and being edited
3. Critiquing and being critiqued
4. Common mistakes and pitfalls of beginning writers

Or you could just stop by and chat a bit, if you'd like.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Shann

Re: Be A Better Writer -- FREE FOR ALL

Post by Shann »

Hm, the title free for all doesn't refer to the Alaska trip does it? :mrgreen: I am so jealous. Alaska is my dream destination, and I can't wait to hear all about it. Here's a question for you about the word vicariously. Since the definition is experiencing something through another person, how do you use it? It seems redundant to say, Show me pictures so I can live vicariously through you. I suppose I could say, Take tons of pictures so I can experience vicarious joy. See, even on vacation, you're a great teacher. I've wondered about that for a while but never quite figured it out. Have a blast!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Shann wrote:Hm, the title free for all doesn't refer to the Alaska trip does it? :mrgreen: I am so jealous. Alaska is my dream destination, and I can't wait to hear all about it. Here's a question for you about the word vicariously. Since the definition is experiencing something through another person, how do you use it? It seems redundant to say, Show me pictures so I can live vicariously through you. I suppose I could say, Take tons of pictures so I can experience vicarious joy. See, even on vacation, you're a great teacher. I've wondered about that for a while but never quite figured it out. Have a blast!
Your first use of 'vicariously' is the one I hear most often (live vicariously through you), but there's nothing wrong with the other one, either. Thanks for asking!
Sibermom65
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Sibermom65 »

I also dream of going to Alaska. My friend is in the process of moving there but is stuck in Edmonton where her driver for her 2nd vehicle quit on her. Instead of vicariously sharing the trip with her I'm distraught over the circumstances (I think that's empathy not vicariousness). I've tried to figure out a way to help her myself, but I'll have to just pray that someone else would like to make the Alaskan trip and God will inspire them to help.
Encourager
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Encourager »

Hi Jan,
I am getting back into the swing of things here at Faithwriters after months of not writing and I find myself feeling stuck. I used to write in the "Challenges" but I find trying to write an article in one week is a challenge, even though I enjoyed it. So I am working on devotionals instead because there is more time for me to write. I struggle a lot with grammar and I get discouraged when I don't get feedback from other writers. Shann has told me that I try too hard when I write and she is correct. I probably could write in the "challenge" if I would make it simple, relax, and have fun. I would like to brush up on my grammar too but I don't know where I should start. I just feel overwhelmed by all the choices and I desire to keep things simple. :?

Thank you for your help,
Mary
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Encourager wrote:Hi Jan,
I am getting back into the swing of things here at Faithwriters after months of not writing and I find myself feeling stuck. I used to write in the "Challenges" but I find trying to write an article in one week is a challenge, even though I enjoyed it. So I am working on devotionals instead because there is more time for me to write. I struggle a lot with grammar and I get discouraged when I don't get feedback from other writers. Shann has told me that I try too hard when I write and she is correct. I probably could write in the "challenge" if I would make it simple, relax, and have fun. I would like to brush up on my grammar too but I don't know where I should start. I just feel overwhelmed by all the choices and I desire to keep things simple. :?

Thank you for your help,
Mary
Hi, Mary--

I'm not sure what kind of help I'm being thanked for... :D

I do think that people tend to overstress on the Writing Challenge. If you work hard on not worrying about rankings or ratings on the Challenge, and just use it as an immersive experience in learning to write well, you'll find that the Challenge has considerable benefits. And although there are plenty of places on this site where you can park your writing, it's the Writing Challenge where you'll get the most feedback, especially if you post a link to your entry once the "all clear" has sounded.

As far as brushing up on your grammar--again, that's a bit too general for me to address here. Enter the Challenges and ask for feedback, or put something in the Critique Circle, and you may get some specific feedback on a targeted grammar issue.

If you have a specific question that I can help you with, I'll be glad to give it a shot. If I don't know the answer, I'll find someone who does.
Encourager
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Encourager »

Thanks Jan. I was thanking you in advance because of the grateful reply's you have gotten in the past from other people and I had faith you would guide me in the right direction as well. :idea:
Much regard,
Mary
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Encourager wrote:I just feel overwhelmed by all the choices and I desire to keep things simple.
Mary, I second Jan’s advice. I think participating in the Challenge is the best way to improve writing.

Learning to write publishable pieces is a lot of work. No doubt about it. So I recommend focusing your efforts on the things that are most likely to bring results in a relatively short period of time:

1) If you haven't already done so, find a Challenge buddy or form a buddy group or join an existing group—probably not more than four members. You can advertise for a buddy on this thread:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... m.php?f=90

Buddies can help with grammar and punctuation and spot errors caused by “writer’s fatigue”. Also, if you work with the same person or persons over a period of time, they can detect patterns in your writing—some of the patterns may be strengths; some might be things to improve. :)

2) I can't recommend Jan’s lessons enough. Of course since you are on this forum, you may already be using them. But if you perhaps haven't read them in awhile, I recommend starting with her lessons that discuss each of the eight criteria upon with the Challenge entries are judged. Here is the link to the lesson on the first of the eight criteria—how to nail the topic:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... 67&t=37777

3) Finally "Ann's Grammar Basics" forum contains many lessons that address specific points of grammar:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... m.php?f=69

Cinnamon Bear (Virginia Bliss)
Last edited by Cinnamon Bear on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Encourager
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Encourager »

Thank you so much Cinnamon Bear. I appreciate you dropping in and encouraging me, as well. All of you, including Shann, Mike and Bea are getting me so excited to move on to the next level in writing!
:thankssign
Mary
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: I Wish I Could Say I Know I'm Right, But I Can't

Post by oursilverstrands »

..."but the theme of the story focuses on risk taking and how each of us, toddlers and adults, deals with risk in our own way.

Okay, Jan, do I pass or fail with the above sentence as it relates to subject and verb? Is "each of us" plural or singular? I took the risk based on what I think I know and chose singular. "Each of us deals..." But then the phrase "toddlers and adults requires the plural "deals," and they fuel my uncertainty; make me think that I could be wrong.

So which one is it? I'm sure there's a link to a lesson on this somewhere. Thanks.

Lillian (trying not to grow rusty during my writing hiatus :-)).
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Lillian, this one is beyond my expertise. Post it to Ann's forum, maybe, and since I speak with her several times a week, I'll let her know to look for it. Sorry I can't help on this one.
oursilverstrands

Post by oursilverstrands »

Oops! I forgot. You did direct us to Ann for grammar questions early on.

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
dmbowman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by dmbowman »

Is there anything incorrect about this statement?

The boy had neither candy nor gum, yet his mouth was full and I could only suppose it was dirt, as a brown substance leaked from the corners of his lips.

MS word has a problem with the 'neither' in it.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

dmbowman wrote:Is there anything incorrect about this statement?

The boy had neither candy nor gum, yet his mouth was full and I could only suppose it was dirt, as a brown substance leaked from the corners of his lips.

MS word has a problem with the 'neither' in it.
It sure looks fine to me! (Also, ewwww).
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Hi, Diane and Jan! :)

"The boy had neither candy nor gum, yet his mouth was full and I could only suppose it was dirt, as a brown substance leaked from the corners of his lips."

Should there be a comma after "full"?

Cinnamon Bear

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”