Writing for Children - Picture Books Part 1

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Shann

Re: Writing for Children - Picture Books Part 1

Post by Shann »

Thanks for that encouragement Joanne. I really need it! You're right too. I've never thought of it like that!
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
pheeweed
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by pheeweed »

Is there still a standard length for picture books? When I researched it a few years ago, it was 32 pages, including coverplate and other things. I didn't come across the concept of leaving part for the illustrator, but that makes sense. I've written a book and a friend has illustrated it and we worked closely on the concept. She definitely added a lot to the book.

My granddaughter's favorite picture book was The Story About Ping, so I read it hundreds of times. What she loved was the repetition of words but also, what I call piling words on to words.
"Ping lived with his mother and his father and two sisters and three brothers and eleven aunts and seven uncles and forty-two cousins." I tried to copy that style because she loved it so much.
Phee
A friend of the Bridegroom

http://www.delightedmeditations.blogspot.com

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8 NLT
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

Phee - yes, 32 pages IS still standard, though occasionally books can be longer - but always in groups of 8 because of how they're laid out. The vast majority of debut books, at least, are 32 - but occasionally you will see 40. And yes, that generally includes the copyright page and coverplate.

I LOVED The Story About Ping as a child! Haven't read it in a VERY long time - I think it is time to check it out again. :)

Thanks for stopping by - AND for your comments!
pheeweed wrote:Is there still a standard length for picture books? When I researched it a few years ago, it was 32 pages, including coverplate and other things. I didn't come across the concept of leaving part for the illustrator, but that makes sense. I've written a book and a friend has illustrated it and we worked closely on the concept. She definitely added a lot to the book.

My granddaughter's favorite picture book was The Story About Ping, so I read it hundreds of times. What she loved was the repetition of words but also, what I call piling words on to words.
"Ping lived with his mother and his father and two sisters and three brothers and eleven aunts and seven uncles and forty-two cousins." I tried to copy that style because she loved it so much.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”