Be a Better Writer--CAPITALIZING PRONOUNS FOR GOD

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

KCilano
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--CAPITALIZING PRONOUNS FOR GOD

Post by KCilano »

I guess I'm an old rebel, but capitalizing the pronouns goes right along with the Hebrew, not completing the word G-d, out of reverence. Just because the secular world doesn't do it is not a good enough reason for me. The grammar rules have changed, but for the better? I don't agree. I do appreciate the information though, as surprised as I am that it is an actual rule. Some rules are made for change. :)
KCilano
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

KCilano wrote:I guess I'm an old rebel, but capitalizing the pronouns goes right along with the Hebrew, not completing the word G-d, out of reverence. Just because the secular world doesn't do it is not a good enough reason for me. The grammar rules have changed, but for the better? I don't agree. I do appreciate the information though, as surprised as I am that it is an actual rule. Some rules are made for change. :)
KCilano
Well, it's not just the secular world. It's the majority of versions of the Bible, and the Christian Writers Manual of Style, too.

But as I said in the lesson, if you're more comfortable capitalizing, you should certainly do so. I just wanted people to be aware of contemporary thought on this, in case they submit something for a publication that does not capitalize. This way, no one will be caught off guard.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Cat wrote:Um. I haven't. :roll:
Latecomer to this discussion and have nothing to add, but I laughed out loud at this one.

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
MommaClaire
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by MommaClaire »

Better late than never?

Ok. "It is not a matter of respect" when it comes to the capitalization rules. I understand that. But shouldn't there be an EXCEPTION when it comes to God, Lord, Jesus, He, Him, etc? Seriously, I understand your point BUT in my heart, in my soul, EXCEPTION screams!

Going along with the basic rules hasn't helped Christianity at all and capitalizing is my personal stand. Maybe I'll forewarn an editor that I prefer to capitalize out of conscience but understand if they "correct" it for print because of grammatical rules.

I have to wonder if negative marks will be gained in a Weekly Challenge if we stick to our capitalized pronouns? I've used them so far.

I'm going to have to mull over this a good, long while. Sigh.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

MommaClaire wrote:Better late than never?

Ok. "It is not a matter of respect" when it comes to the capitalization rules. I understand that. But shouldn't there be an EXCEPTION when it comes to God, Lord, Jesus, He, Him, etc? Seriously, I understand your point BUT in my heart, in my soul, EXCEPTION screams!

Going along with the basic rules hasn't helped Christianity at all and capitalizing is my personal stand. Maybe I'll forewarn an editor that I prefer to capitalize out of conscience but understand if they "correct" it for print because of grammatical rules.

I have to wonder if negative marks will be gained in a Weekly Challenge if we stick to our capitalized pronouns? I've used them so far.

I'm going to have to mull over this a good, long while. Sigh.
The judges will NOT reward or penalize either choice that a writer might make--capitalizing or not capitalizing. Please rest your mind in that regard.

My primary purpose in writing this lesson was to familiarize writers with guidelines that some publishers might have, and not to cause a crisis of conscience. Continue doing what seems right to you, with the realization that some publishers may wish to use a different style that your preferred style.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by swfdoc1 »

glorybee wrote: The judges will NOT reward or penalize either choice that a writer might make--capitalizing or not capitalizing. Please rest your mind in that regard.

My primary purpose in writing this lesson was to familiarize writers with guidelines that some publishers might have, and not to cause a crisis of conscience. Continue doing what seems right to you, with the realization that some publishers may wish to use a different style that your preferred style.
Jan,

Despite the fact that I am clearly on the other side of the capitalization issue from you, I am compelled to say: "GOOD ANSWER!"
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
sarita2
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by sarita2 »

I know this discussion was held months ago, but I just noticed it and wanted to comment. Maybe the desire to capitalize the pronouns for God comes as a carry-over from the Hebrew? If I understand correctly, they were not allowed to say or write the full name of God, instead writing only the consonants. I think this was a sign of respect in fulfilling the commandment to "not take the Lord's name in vain." In other words, don't say it or write it lightly. I don't know if this really supports or undermines the campaign to capitalize pronouns of God's; it's just a thought.
allpurposeguru
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by allpurposeguru »

Regarding when or when not to capitalize "scripture," I don't remember where I encountered this idea, but it works for me. It's Scripture when it's a synonym for the Bible. A portion of the Bible, a quotation, a specific reference, is a scripture.
David Guion
The All-Purpose Guru
Follow me on Twitter @dmguion

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”