Emphasis

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Emphasis

Post by DustBSH »

Hi Jan
I had a short question about emphasis.
There have been occasions where I wanted to put the emphasis on a word.
For example, I take a sentence like: Joe just had to have the new computer.
If I want to put the emphasis on 'had' because he really, really wanted it, how do I write that?
Is 'Joe just had to have the new computer,' the right way? Is there a rule for this? Or is it simply better not to even right it, but just make it clear through showing that Joe really wanted it?
Thanks so much.
Kind regards
glorybee

Re: Emphasis

Post by glorybee »

DustBSH wrote:Hi Jan
I had a short question about emphasis.
There have been occasions where I wanted to put the emphasis on a word.
For example, I take a sentence like: Joe just had to have the new computer.
If I want to put the emphasis on 'had' because he really, really wanted it, how do I write that?
Is 'Joe just had to have the new computer,' the right way? Is there a rule for this? Or is it simply better not to even right it, but just make it clear through showing that Joe really wanted it?
Thanks so much.
Kind regards
Italics can be used for emphasis. It's best if you don't rely too heavily on them, but instead choose your words in such a way that the emphasis is obvious. But if you're concerned that your reader may get put the emphasis in the right place as they're reading, go ahead and italicize. Just don't have lots of italics on each page.

In the example you gave about the computer, that's a fairly common way to indicate desire for a thing, and the emphasis wouldn't be needed.

Although you didn't ask, I'll add that in contemporary writing, underlining and bolding shouldn't be used for emphasis.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Emphasis

Post by DustBSH »

Thanks Jan
XXX

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”