Scripture referencing

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Scripture referencing

Post by TracePezzali »

Hi Jan

What is the acceptable way to reference scripture in a piece of fiction? It seems customary to show this in brackets right next to the Word, but in a publishable novel, is there a way around this? I want my character to use scripture as dialogue in many places. Is it possible to use subtle markings and footnotes rather then part of the story itself giving the reference? Whatever is less distracting to the flow of the story...
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Scripture referencing

Post by Deb Porter »

Just popping in to comment on this. Never reference the scripture in the body of fiction. It immediately breaks the fiction connection with the reader. In other words, it subconsciously gets in the way of the story.

If you feel it necessary, give a list of the scriptures at the end of the book, chapter by chapter, or have your character explain where it is, in some way (but not in a preachy/teachy way). If in a short story, mention the Scripture references at the bottom in an author's note, but don't even add an asterisk to the scripture in the actual story.

For non-fiction, it's a totally different thing. :D

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

glorybee

Post by glorybee »

What Deb said. :D
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

:superhappy YES!!!! That's sooooo the answer I wanted. :thankssign
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Deb Porter wrote:Just popping in to comment on this. Never reference the scripture in the body of fiction. It immediately breaks the fiction connection with the reader. In other words, it subconsciously gets in the way of the story.

If you feel it necessary, give a list of the scriptures at the end of the book, chapter by chapter, or have your character explain where it is, in some way (but not in a preachy/teachy way). If in a short story, mention the Scripture references at the bottom in an author's note, but don't even add an asterisk to the scripture in the actual story.

For non-fiction, it's a totally different thing.

Arrgh! Not only have I been referencing scripture incorrectly in my own entries, I have been giving other people bad advice as well. :sofa

All this time, I have been under the misapprehension that scripture references can appear in the body of a fiction or poem entry. In fact, I thought that if I directly quote or paraphrase scripture, that I must provide a reference.

I've been using footnotes in poems and fiction too. If there is more than one reference--from scripture or other source--how can they be distinguished other than by numbered footnotes?

Cinnamon Bear
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

You're correct that you must provide a reference. I would simply list them, by chapters, at the end of the book.

And of course, at the beginning or the end of your list of scripture references, you'll want to include the appropriate permission statement from your chosen version(s) of the Bible. This website gives links to the precise working of those permission statements.

You could do something like this:

Scripture References (All NIV):

Ch. 1 -- Romans 12:1, John 3:16, Psalm 100
Ch. 2 -- Genesis 1:1, Lamentations 3: 22-23

The reader would have to figure out if they're looking up the first, second, or third use of scripture in that particular chapter, but that's no great hardship, I think.

OR

Scripture references (all KJV, unless noted):

Ch. 1 -- Romans 12:1, John 3:16 (RSV), Psalm 100
Ch. 2 -- Genesis 1:1, Lamentations 3: 22-23
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Cinnamon Bear »

Thanks, Jan!

Cinnamon Bear :)

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”