Be a Better Writer -- SCIENCE FICTION

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Be a Better Writer -- SCIENCE FICTION

Post by Deb Porter »

Given that some people are struggling with these genres, I asked myself how hard it was to come up with a sci-fi or fantasy story line (one that works with a Christian point of view). I was thinking that as I got into the shower last night before bed, and before I had finished my shower, I had the story plotted out in my mind from start to finish. And it was a darn good one. So now I'm kind of frustrated that I can't enter the Challenge. :lol:

Given 750 words, you have to throw the main character into the situation straight away, so I started mine with a perplexing science-related revelation (nothing technical, believe me). This led to a confrontation, another shocking revelation, followed by a life threatening dilemma which required the main character to go against her moral/ethical judgment. The antagonist thought he had her under control, but as she walked away, she knew what she had to do.

Ta-da! (And I even tied it in to a very relevant scripture as a tag line.)

Plot in a nutshell (and I had it all acted out, with dialogue, in my brain last night. It was kind of busy in there). Although definitely sci-fi in story line, I did a "ripped from the headlines" angle, setting it five or so years in the future. That would make it relevant for now.

To be honest, this is a basic formula for a lot of fiction, regardless of genre. Problem, conflict, dilemma, (maybe some more conflict) resolution.

So if I can do it in the shower, you can do it before entries close. :superhappy

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

glorybee

Post by glorybee »

I love this post, Deb. A basic fiction formula--and as i've said, any story should have one of those universal themes. All it needs to be sci-fi or fantasy is one out-of-this-world element. Easy peasy.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
dmbowman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by dmbowman »

Deb Porter wrote:... I had the story plotted out in my mind from start to finish. And it was a darn good one. So now I'm kind of frustrated that I can't enter the Challenge. :lol:
So, why don't you? Sure, you would probably have to throw it out of the judging but you could put it in a random level and we could all try to guess which one you wrote!

Like a reverse challenge. :lol:
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

dmbowman wrote:
Deb Porter wrote:... I had the story plotted out in my mind from start to finish. And it was a darn good one. So now I'm kind of frustrated that I can't enter the Challenge. :lol:
So, why don't you? Sure, you would probably have to throw it out of the judging but you could put it in a random level and we could all try to guess which one you wrote!

Like a reverse challenge. :lol:
On another week, in another century, I probably would do that. LOL. No time with books awaitin' and a conference this coming weekend. (And a funeral to arrange tomorrow for my mother's friend, who is still alive ... don't ask.)

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”