Be a Better Writer--DEALING WITH NEGATIVE CRITIQUE

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Re: Be a Better Writer--DEALING WITH NEGATIVE CRITIQUE

Post by glorybee »

Well, I'm backtracking a bit. When challenge buddies were first allowed, years ago, I was still writing for the challenge and it was as I said up above--typos only, no content. But I didn't want Lillian or Dust to feel bad, so I double-checked, and this link shows what the newer guidelines are for challenge buddies:

http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpB ... 90&t=33842

That having been said, you'll need to have a discussion with your buddies, I think, about what degree of guidance you feel comfortable giving and receiving.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by oursilverstrands »

Phew! I'm off the hook. Did I hear someone say that, "Honesty is the best policy?"
I guess full disclosure pays off. :superhappy

Must have read that post at some point, but three years is a long time, even for a "keenage" senior. :D

Lillian
When Youth Fades
Available at: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=when+youth+f ... nb_sb_noss/

Fortunate 500

I have a love affair with words. I write, even when I think I can't. I'm hooked on words!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty
DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DustBSH »

Thanks Jan
Yes, I had read that thread once before too and thankfully it has been the spirit in which I have been able to give and receive feedback. What I meant to say with the red ink is not that my entry gets rewritten. However since English is not my first language it does appear I do make a fair amount of grammar mistakes and some errors in the choice of words, where I choose a word, that I heard and to me sounds good, but is not the proper word in that context. For example in wanting to write about small and gentle bird eyes, I went to the dictionary and found that the word for that can be beady. However I did not know that beady has a rather negative meaning, so instead of my bird being sweet and gentle she turned out sinister. I am ever so thankful to get this sorted out before I submit my entry as a reader will simply stumble over it, which really doesn't help the spirit of the entry. It's wonderful to do good in the Challenge, but the real goal is not to score high in the Challenge, but to become a better writer. Thankfully the Forum as a whole is a school in itself and has been invaluable to me. Hope that clears up my statement.
Kind regards
AnnaBanana
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by AnnaBanana »

I've just been reading through this lesson. Maybe it's just another manic Monday, but I needed this today. I do want to improve my writing and I need help to do that. I knew my challenge entry this week was really hard for me to get it right so I do need to see how it "sounds outside my head." Anyway, thanks for sharing this Jan. I know where to come if it happens again. :)
Blessings,
Rachel

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”