Be a Better Writer--THE CRITIQUE CIRCLE

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

glorybee

Be a Better Writer--THE CRITIQUE CIRCLE

Post by glorybee »

This isn't the usual lesson--it's more of a public service announcement.

I know that the Critique Circle on this site is woefully underused, and I also know that Mike and Bea have solicited several knowledgeable writers/editors to critique pieces that are entered there. They've even created a new category: Challenge entries.

I'd like to encourage you all to pick a previous challenge entry or two and submit them to the Critique Circle, either under that category or one of the other categories into which it might fit. I know that the critiques you get there will be far more detailed than comments in those lovely yellow boxes.

Here's a link to the Critique Circle: http://www.faithwriters.com/critique-circle.php
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--THE CRITIQUE CIRCLE

Post by trudynewell »

Hi - Thanks for the encouragement to do this. Right now I feel such a beginner, that I will just try to orient myself to what the circle is like. I'm nervous about this whole area of critiquing someone else. I still struggle with trying to check my stuff to make sure it's "'passable" Now that I have my health back I'd like to be more active in Faith writers.

Do you have any ideas for getting my feet wet - thanks! Trudy
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Trudy, the Weekly Challenge is the most active area of this site, and the one with the most potential to help new writers. It develops such skills as writing to a prompt, writing with a time limit, and tight writing (since you're limited to 750 words). Additionally, you're sure to get lots of encouragement there (by way of the comments), and perhaps some slight critique.

The lessons in this forum are (I hope) also helpful for new writers.

And as I mentioned above, FW is trying to drum up more activity in the Critique Circle, which has a huge potential for developing your writing skills.

Most of all, don't worry about jumping in. There are writers of all abilities here, and a community of encouragers. If there's something that you're nervous about, you can always express it here in the forums, and you're sure to get encouragement.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
trudynewell
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by trudynewell »

Thanks! I keep with the weekly Challenge, and also try to make comments as appropriate - especially in the beginner category. Trudy
DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DustBSH »

Hi and God bless
I found the critique circle to be a great platform. Much appreciated. I am a beginner as well and greatly valued the critiques that came my way.
I have sent a few critiques as well. The only thing I found difficult is to find stories that have not been critiqued yet. If an article already has 4 or 5 critiques I don't think my 2 cents will make a big difference anymore. Is there a way to simply see what articles are in need of critiques, or do I just have to scroll down until I find some?
Is it still useful to critique articles that have been written quite some time ago?
In any case, thanks for your wonderful Site. I am impressed and happy to be a part of it.
Kind regards
Koos Stenger

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”