Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Post by Deb Porter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 am

Rebecky wrote:So I decided to start working on a novel again. I probably won't get far... every time I try to write one I quit because I decide its stupid. lol

Anyway, I'm writing this one in the first person and I'm kind of thinking if its just me or not but it almost seems like it comes off has past tense because of the first person thing. Maybe its just my imagination.
Becky, just do it. Break the barrier, regardless of what you start to think about whether it's brilliant or dumb. Think Nike and just do it. Your first novel may or may not be a success or ever be read by anyone beyond your family and close friends. That's okay. You need to break that mental barrier that keeps stopping you.

We learn from experience.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Leah and Shann, those do sound scary! :shock: So glad the babies and moms were okay. Leah, hope things are calmer for a while and that you get some sleep.

Becky, chiari and EDS can definitely be related. As you probably know, chiari is when the brain slips down too far into the brain stem and starts getting pinched by the skull. EDS causes the bones and joints not to connect tightly enough, so it makes sense that loose bones would not hold the brain in the right spot.

I'm so glad you are writing again, too! I'm doing my novel in 1st person, past tense, too. Almost all books are written in past tense, even 1st person ones, so don't worry about that. Just let it flow however it comes out. You can always go back and fix it later if the tenses get mixed up.

Barb, I do have an everyday pain med that helps with the lower levels of pain, and I can add Aleve to it if I need on days like today when I'm having trouble walking. This new doctor also prescribed a topical pain med that is specially formulated for us "bendies." Because it's topical, it doesn't cause the other side effects many of the oral meds cause, though it has the drawback that you have to use it in specific locations. I have to figure out if my insurance will cover it, though.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:40 am

Oh, Shann, I was biting my nails just reading your story! :shock: I am so glad my delivery wasn't that bad - but I totally worried about the doctor pulling the head off by how hard the yanking was. The mama came by today on her way out to give us chocolate. :mrgreen: She also made me pose with her and baby for a picture. Sigh. That's the best part of my job. :roll:

Today I had another Magnesium Sulfate patient. This is the third in a week. We were worried she'd end up a section, but all of a sudden she started calling out and saying she felt pressure and I checked and the baby was right there. If she hadn't been a first time mama, it might've fallen out right into the bed! :lol: I loved having the delivery for my shift, but when they're on Mag they're so busy. We have to check them very frequently and there's tons of charting. I stopped at the gym on the way home just to soak in the hot tub for 20 minutes - it felt wonderful and now I'm fairly relaxed.

Tuesday and Wednesday I finally get to work on my own with buddy nurses just to resource me. I appreciate working with preceptors but I sure prefer to do things my own way. I mean, I need to know the policies and such for this hospital, but I don't like the way day shift aggressively manages labor. I am a pretty low key nurse and really calm most of the time, and my preceptors were all pretty high strung. I will especially like going back to nights, where in general it is much more low key.

Becky, I know how you feel about getting started in the writing process. Both of the novels I started I never finished, though. The thing is just getting it down on paper. Even if it's cheesy and/or lame, at least then you can edit it. That's better than having nothing at all. Just sayin'.

I am going to relax some before Ryan gets home and I head to bed. We are opposite right now between me working days and he evenings, but by next week we'll be more on the same schedule.

Anyone else's neighbors shooting off fireworks already? I can hear the strains of the ice cream truck (yes, it's out there anytime between 7:30 and 10:45pm every night - Oh! Susanna) and bang! bang!s of the different fireworks. There was a mini show over the port on Friday night as I was driving home; kinda cool. I'm sure there'll be plenty going off when I drive home Wednesday.

Night night.

david_ian
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by david_ian » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:44 am

Stopped.

Rested.

Moving on...

8)
Pick for The Week Link: FOR FUN Hero and Nemesis Have "The Talk" <--Click Here

David's Writings, Musings & FOR FUN

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein '

Rebecky
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by Rebecky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 am

Oh no, not another one!

So many sarcastic people ... me included. (:

we lost power this morning for a few hours but its come back now and I can finally have my cup of coffee!
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:16 pm

david_ian wrote:Stopped.

Rested.

Moving on...

8)
Oh I'm just finding all kinds of posts that made me seriously laugh. (My new unique oxymoron) :rolling :rolling seriously!

Becky I'm going to go with the crowd and say just write it and when it's done have someone check it to make sure you stayed in the same tense. Personally I don't like present tense as a reader. I know it's suppose to pull the reader in but it just doesn't feel natural. One thing I have to be careful with when writing a story that's about me but fictionalized I usually write in third person but cuz it's based on truth I'll slip into first person and not realize it.

Leah I may have to ban you from the site cuz you are making me miss my OB nursing days way too much! How many babies have you delivered sans doctor? I did four. It's thrilling and terrifying at the same time. I loved teaching both patients and new nurses so I was the resident preceptor. That can be such a hard job because it's faster and easier to do it yourself than to teach someone to do it. I wonder if I could still set up a delivery table. I think it would probably come back to me but you never know. Another thing I loved was when I was breastfeeding coordinator.

Where's Pup-a=doodle? Did someone forget to take him out of the crate after the move? :tongue :tongue :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Nah Puppy probably crawled into his coffee cup and took a swim in it. :tongue
Dum Spiro Spero

deejay

Post by deejay » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 pm

People in my neighborhood have been shooting off fireworks at least since early June. Yesterday they weren't even waiting until nightfall to do it--no sooner than they buy them, they run home and shoot them off. Afew weeks ago, someone on our street--just around the corner--sent a firework under a car; luckily it didn't blow up under the gas tank and set it off--that would've been dangerous!

In my day, fireworks were sold like the last week of June, but now they start selling them as soon as kids are out of school in mid-June. Kind of kills the purpose of having the fireworks--you're supposed to celebrate the Fourth with the fireworks, and if you're setting them off for a month before, it's kind of like having cake for weeks before a birthday, you know?

jaybird
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by jaybird » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11 pm

I heard firecrackers this morning.

Little Bird's wings must be tired from all that flying..well worth it, I'm sure.

Mike from FW's commented on chapters 1-3 on my YA novel, but I need more eyes on it. :book2
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

"Why sweat the small stuff when it's really not a big stink" - my quote

http://www.journalhome.com/ThingsToShare/

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Shann wrote:How many babies have you delivered sans doctor? I did four.
Um...too many... :roll: That's the beauty of working nights in small hospitals. One time we had a patient roll in on the wheelchair from the ER, climb into the bed, say "I want an epidural!" and then deliver about three minutes after I turned on the monitor. I think I got maybe 10 seconds of heart tones. :lol: Once I had a doctor walk down the hall after waiting for her patient to get to 10cm for like 10 minutes; she was getting bored, so she told me to call her when it was time. I had the patient turn onto her hands and knees, and then about 5 minutes later the patient yelled out, "The baby's coming!" so I yelled down the hall for the doctor and yanked the table in. The baby fell out onto the bed (delivering itself) before I could even get gloves on. Needless to say the doctor was ticked off, but hey, at least she didn't have to cut the patient to get baby out! :mrgreen: Yeah, I - uh - pretty much can't remember how many I've done sans doctor. Last year the doctor was right down the hall and the patient said she's never had a baby delivered by a doctor, and sure enough he was about 30 seconds too late, but she said that's the closest any doctor had ever come! :lol: We have hospitalists at my current place, but considering those stories, it could still happen. The good news is that babies who deliver themselves generally don't have any issues. The problems come when doctors are hurrying things along and interfere with nature.

Hi, D.I.! Nice of you to rest with us awhile. Hey, wait a minute, you should be here more often, since you're from the PNW!

I got about half the dishes done and no laundry or trash yet....Ryan's leaving for work now so I should be more productive. I need to do a bit of shopping too as we're out of a few groceries. Back to work tomorrow so an early night again.

Rebecky

Post by Rebecky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Some of you know that I have chronic pain from the car accident I was in nearly 2 years ago. (toes/foot, knee, shoulder)

Well my knee has been bothering me even more than normal lately and now it's swollen. It feels weird too. Its kind of hard to explain but it does.

:(
Dum Spiro Spero

Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Praying for you right now, Becky. Praying for relief from the pain and weird feeling (strangely, I know what you mean. We just know when something isn't right).

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Rebecky wrote:Well my knee has been bothering me even more than normal lately and now it's swollen. It feels weird too. Its kind of hard to explain but it does.
It could be from the thunderstorms and tropical storms in that area. The air pressure changes get to me. I wasn't able to walk without a ton of pain the last two days. Finally is better today.

I got to play on the beach with my cousin and his little kids today. I think I got a little burned, even though I put on lots of sunscreen.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Ms. Barbie

Post by Ms. Barbie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:11 pm

We're getting the fireworks too-and they are illegal in my city. We have high fire dangers, but these idiotic people don't care. The noise freaks out my two aging cats.

On Wednesday, I'm driving down to San Diego for a 4-day convention of TOPS- the weight loss group I belong to. This is an international organization, and hold the annual "International Recognition Days" in different states or Providences every year. This year, it's a mere two hour trip away from where I live!
I was hoping to have reached my goal weight in time to "graduate" at this convention, but was not successful by the deadline. As it is, I'm 13 pounds away from my doctor-prescribed goal weight and I've already lost a total of 62 pounds since January 2011! I will post a photo when I reach my goal weight-if you are interested. :oops:

Fascinating birthing stories you guys are sharing! So grateful my niece did not have the severe placenta Acretta they originally thought. They were all prepared to do emergency hysterectomy and major reconstruction, and they went in two days earlier than scheduled due to excessive bleeding. Apparently, it was only about the size of a 50 cent piece, but she did have a lot of adhesion. The baby was born with some respiratory issues as they had anesthetized my niece, and she was on a CPAP for several days in the NICU, then went home with nasal cannula oxygen just a week after her birth! She got off the oxygen after 2 weeks and is doing great now at 2 months! My niece did not have to have hysterectomy but did have tubal ligation as any additional pregnancies could be dangerous for both mother and child.

I believe it was all the prayers going up for them!
Barb Culler

JesusPuppy

Post by JesusPuppy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 am

tonguethaid wrote:(Sorry Deb I will stop being cheeky!! :roll: )
It's OK.. I personally believe "Cheeky" behavior started down under. :wink:

Bird.. SOOOooooo glad they actually found something out, maybe now they can start some progress. At least they weren't total quacks and tell you that you are allurgic to yourself and need a total body transplant. :roll:
Re-Becky Kiddo wrote:Nah Puppy probably crawled into his coffee cup and took a swim in it.
They don't make cups that big... I looked. :mrgreen:
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

Return to “The Water Cooler”