To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Pacific Coast Rest-Stop

Postby deejay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 pm

:shock: I've never been an alcoholic in my life; I can't stand the least taste of alcohol. I said this sober living place will take people WHO DO NOT HAVE SOBRIETY ISSUES. Sorry about the shout, but I had to clarify.

I lost my paternal grandfather to alcoholism when I was 6 months old; I have been told by my last remaining aunt on dad's side he was a very loving man. I wish I'd known him. :(

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you hadn't but have never heard of Sober living places taking nonaddicts. It can be quite detrimental. You just said they didn't have to be in recovery.
deejay wrote:They've told me about a place that's sober living, but you don't have to be in recovery to live there. I'll ask for more about it.

Most sober living houses you come straight from rehab so I thought you meant you didn't need to come straight from rehab. I figured it just meant that you don't have to come straight from rehab as long as you are sober and committed to staying sober, but since you have to attend meetings and group events, I can't imagine letting someone go who does not have a problem.

I'm glad you don't have a problem, but am sad that it probably is less likely you'll get a bed since sober living houses have such long waiting lists.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

I agree with Shann. There's a big difference between not being in recovery and not having a problem at all. It sounds to me like this sober living house takes addicts that aren't necessarily taking the steps to get sober, i.e. AA meetings/NA meetings.

Chances are you'll be turned away because you're not an addict. From what I understand in any sober living home you still have to keep rules, probably curfews, still attend 12 step programs and possibly see a therapist and it's not free either. Rent can still cost between $450 and $750 a month depending on where you live.

Thats just some stuff I've googled and of course some facilities are different than others but I would imagine that one rule is the same everywhere: You must be an addict.
Dum Spiro Spero

Allison

Postby Allison » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:20 pm

I'd also hate to see a bed taken by someone who's never had issues, when some are mandated by probation or parole to be at a sober living home. Sometimes they cannot leave jail or prison until a place opens up.
Isaiah 40:30-31 (NIV)

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Last time I checked, nationwide there is only 1 shelter bed for every 10 homeless people. Since it was my case manager who told me about it, I doubt she'd send me somewhere she knew I'd be turned away from. Not if she wants to keep her job, anyway.

Rebecky

Postby Rebecky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Allison wrote:I'd also hate to see a bed taken by someone who's never had issues, when some are mandated by probation or parole to be at a sober living home. Sometimes they cannot leave jail or prison until a place opens up.

I was going to mention this as well but it slipped my mind. I agree with Allison whole heartedly.
Dum Spiro Spero

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 pm

deejay wrote:Last time I checked, nationwide there is only 1 shelter bed for every 10 homeless people. Since it was my case manager who told me about it, I doubt she'd send me somewhere she knew I'd be turned away from. Not if she wants to keep her job, anyway.

I understand we need more help for homeless, especially the elderly and disabled who literally can't work. From some of the budget cuts, it looks like things are going to get worse for low-income families.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way DeeJay, but what you said about your case manager almost sounds threatening...like if you don't get a bed there because you don't qualify, then you will try to make sure she loses her job. Like I said, I don't believe you would do that, but I wonder if things like that are part of the reasons some get frustrated with you. This case manager has done miraculous things for you. Originally, you were only suppose to be there until Thanksgiving. You were also supposed to get a full-time job, but even though a private person is paying you so it looks like it is 32 hours, you've still been granted extensions. It's almost Easter now and she has managed to keep it so you have a bed, food, and has helped with job searches, resume, and new places to stay. If it were me, I would be so grateful for all she has done, not wish she lose her job. I think that impression might turn off people more than you realize.

I know you just want to be in a better situation, but sometimes when we are at our lowest, God allows it so we can learn and eventually help others.

For 28 years now. I have not had one second where I wasn't experiencing significant pain. I've had countless people tell me they don't know how I manage. I praise God for my situation (not always, sometimes I have a major pity party), because this illness has blessed me more than you could ever ever imagine. I have been able to help others in similar situations. God has put me in the hospital and I've ministered to nurses who were on the brink. I've ministered to others with illnesses who were all alone. I've been able to teach my kids that people are more important than money. I'm not sure if someone asked me if I could go back in time and not get sick if I would because that would mean all the good that has come from this would never had happened.

Sorry, didn't mean to preach, just wanted to explain my thoughts. Even though I get frustrated, I am still praying for you. I really want things to work out for you and for you to have a chance at true happiness. I do care and only want the best for you. I hope you understand that. I think we all care here. There have been times each of us needed some honesty from our friends and this little family is great at doing that and still loving unconditionally.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay

Postby deejay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

No, I wouldn't cause her to lose her job, but things like that can be found out. I agree, we never can tell why we were put into the situations we're in until we get to Heaven. I've heard it said that the most common word that will be said when we get to Heaven will be "OH!" Like, oh, that's why I lost that job I so desperately needed; oh, that's why I lost my baby to SIDS; Oh, that's why my dad died in a preventable accident, etc..

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Oh, LOVELY! The job as a porter with the Irvine Company turns out requires a valid driver's license and clean driving record! :x I swear, this is a pattern--I find a good job, apply for it, it looks like I have a good shot at getting it--and then I get the rug pulled out from under me! I received an email from their personnel department--an actual person--saying they received my application and were looking forward to interviewing me, and it was only then I found a driver's license was required. i emailed them back, explaining I didn't have a driver's license, but to keep me in mind for any position that didn't require one. They replied they would do that and withdrew my application. Really very civilized people. In the email announcing the interview, they said if you can't make the face-to-face, to call them and they'll interview you over the phone. Saves both going out in the rain--showers with the possibility of thunder today through Thursday, then again on Saturday--and having to put on the monkey suit.

And of course I'm in a Catch-22 position-- in order to get a driver's license, I have to have money to get the learner's permit, pay for driving lessons, and then the fee for the license itself, and then there's the money for a car, registration and insurance. But to get that I have to have a good-paying job....you get the idea.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:14 am

You keep looking, we will keep praying.
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.

deejay

Postby deejay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm staying with my pastor's in-laws until Monday. I've been calling shelters, but they're either full or they don't have anything for singles just now.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:05 pm

My day...

Got to work and NO GAS. I walked back and forth for 6 hours just to tell people, "Sorry can't help you." :shock:

I left two hours early, couldn't handle the slow time. :roll: After doing ALL of our monthly deep clean, there wasn't much left to do but stand around doing nothing. Oh well, at least it wasn't raining.

JesusPuppy Profile

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 am

Pup, do you work at gas station? I thought you worked in a store doing restocking stuff at night. But of course, my memory is awful.

We got hit with the flu this week. Chris was really sick with a fever of 104 and a wicked cough. My temp only hit 103 once, but it stayed around 101 for a few days. Chris still has the cough. I ache like crazy, but my temp has been down around 99-100. It even hit my normal of 96.7 a few times. Yuck.
Shann

Shann's Profile

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:53 pm

If you didn't check my thread "Update on my situation" in the Prayer Requests forum, I'm in a shelter that was once a bus terminal. At least it's free and they serve all three meals. And I'm sleeping on a cot instead of a mat on the floor like I would be if I was at the armory. But at least it's safe.

JesusPuppy

Postby JesusPuppy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Good to hear DJ, still praying for you

Shann wrote:Pup, do you work at gas station? I thought you worked in a store doing restocking stuff at night. But of course, my memory is awful.

Yes you are behind, several years actually. I quit the store about 5 years back now, started at the station, ummm...... June 3 years ago. :roll:

JesusPuppy Profile

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler