To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Legal question

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

Sibermom65
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Legal question

Postby Sibermom65 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:32 pm

My soon-to-be book "Me, Ruby, and God" was designed to be sold at a heavily discounted price for volume sales for groups who would like to resell it as a fundraiser. I didn't intend to be picky about the formality of the group or anything like that, but a recent posting by a "friend" (former friend?) on FB has opened my eyes to a potential problem. This person is trying to raise money to support a group to "fight religious fanatics" and promote abortion on demand. This is not something I can morally support, but I'm not sure if I sell to any groups, do I have to sell to all? I'm thinking of the cake decorator and the flower arranger who had religious objections about selling their products for same-sex weddings and have been in real legal trouble. I don't want to land in a similar position if I refuse to support the fundraising efforts of a group I believe is morally in the wrong.
Any suggestions on how I get around this?

oursilverstrands
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Legal question

Postby oursilverstrands » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm

Full disclosure ( :D )...I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that once your book is in print and out in the marketplace, it's available to any and everyone who wants to read it. If you're going to be the sole distributor, then you might have a bit more control over who gets to purchase them. Go with your morals; perhaps you won't be legally challenged for doing so.

Just my $0.02.

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Shann

Re: Legal question

Postby Shann » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:40 am

I can't imagine a group like that buying your book. It's stated as a Christian book. I think they could go to the site and buy them on their own. You could add a disclaimer like Books will be sold to fundraisers at a discount at the author's sole discretion. That might cover your butt, but I also am not a lawyer. You might want to call one and ask. Most lawyers would be willing to answer a simple question like that especially if you've done business with them again.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Open Forum - General Writing Discussion