To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Time Stewardship for Christian Writers

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:49 am

Catherine Craig has had it on her heart to start a thread where people are able to be accountable to one another for the use of their time as Christian writers. It's a great idea and we fully support it.

Catherine has defined the goals as:

1. To help writers to establish and define their personal goals, objectives, and core values, including, but not limited to writing.

2. To declutter their minds and to trust God more so that they can write better and hear God more clearly.

3. To manage their time in the best possible manner so as to be stewarding it well.

4. To discuss, smile, and pray about issues related to challenges centered around the first three points.

5. To set goals and to be both held accountable, and to get and give encouragement to move forward.

6 To find tools that will help.

All excellent goals. If you would like to be a part of this group, please jump straight in.

Blessings!

Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lookinup » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:40 am

Deb Porter wrote:Catherine Craig has had it on her heart to start a thread where people are able to be accountable to one another for the use of their time as Christian writers. It's a great idea and we fully support it.

Catherine has defined the goals as:

1. To help writers to establish and define their personal goals, objectives, and core values, including, but not limited to writing.

2. To declutter their minds and to trust God more so that they can write better and hear God more clearly.

3. To manage their time in the best possible manner so as to be stewarding it well.

4. To discuss, smile, and pray about issues related to challenges centered around the first three points.

5. To set goals and to be both held accountable, and to get and give encouragement to move forward.

6 To find tools that will help.

All excellent goals. If you would like to be a part of this group, please jump straight in.

Blessings!

Deb

Thanks Deb. I appreciate and value your support. It's exciting to have this opportunity to share what's in my heart and what I try to do in my own life with other writers when it comes to wise use of our time.

The goals above may sound lofty, but it all boils down to living one-day-at-a-time. One step at a time. Following the Lord.

:welcome

If you feel that you would like to get actively involved in placing writing goals in this thread each week, place your goals here in this thread. People will be praying for you. The act of writing goals, and knowing others are praying somehow spurs us on.

Each week, we'll celebrate any wins with you that you share along with your goals, and you can also place concerns focused on time management out there to others of us who I'm certain probably have faced the same dilemmas as writers. We need you, and your input also!

Please note: There are many facets of FW designed to meet other needs that we have, but here we will focus on learning to cherish our time, and to steward it well.

Each Monday until the first week in January 2016, I'll be offering a new "Time Stewardship Challenge" exercise for anyone who wants to try it. This is to help those of us who are active goal setters jump into the New Year with fresh eyes, and hopefully a renewed perspective.

Watch for Monday's first challenge! Thanks for stopping by and Lord bless.
Last edited by lookinup on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs

Shann

Re: Time Stewardship for Christian Writers

Postby Shann » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm in for now. I may not be able to do everything the group has morphed into, but I'm looking forward to focusing on praying and setting goals. I think we need to get people's emails so we can set up a group email or hangout. I'm not sure how many have pm there email to Catherine. I have most people's email, but I'm not sure if everyone would want to use that email for this group.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

November 23 Challenge MONDAY

Postby lookinup » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:48 am

Happy Monday - hope your weekend was blessed!The Lord's given us another week of time to spend! :bow How cool is that!

:arrow: :arrow: NEWS: Forming a "Time Stewardship" buddy group outside of FW is on hold for the moment. Make sure to read my initial post - again - if you haven't today. Thanks for bearing with the changes. :thumbs

:arrow: :arrow: November 23, 2015 Challenge #1: What do you consider important, and why do you do the things you do?

This is "Core Value" week. GOTO: http://www.familylife.com/articles/topics/parenting/foundations/godly-legacy/determining-your-core-values [b]NOTE: List of CORE VALUES at end of webpage.

:idea: Read and consider completing Part I if you don't have a family. If you do have a partner and/or children, you might do both Parts I and 2. Feel free to come back and share on the forum anything you'd like, or just enjoy the benefits. PM me or place questions that come up about the homework on the forum![/b]

trudynewell
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby trudynewell » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:07 am

Hi All,

Happy Monday indeed. Here in the USA it's Thanksgiving week. I truly am grateful for this new group. Thanks Catherine, Shann, and Deb - and now to work.

You'll are a great blessing - Trudy

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

November 23 Challenge MONDAY follow up note

Postby lookinup » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:19 pm

WOW! Such enthusiasm about setting goals. I think I've died and gone to heaven - so to speak. :thankssign Thanks Shann! Trudy! Deb!

For any newbies, feel free to go here: http://www.faithwriters.com/Boards/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=39769 to follow the now closed for comments initial thread.

This forum is open to encourage non-participants. There seems to be a growing request for some amount of privacy to share personal needs, and some face-to-face contact through online technology. However, until the first of the year, we'll continue this thread. If you are interested in having a Time Stewardship Group after the 1st of January, and are a committed FW participant, PM me your email. You'll be included.

For those who want to do the homework, you might try this. Picture yourself as traveling toward a distant speck on the horizon. For we, as Christians trying to keep our eyes focused on following the Lord's lead, He is next to that speck urging us on toward Him and "it", whatever that "it" is in your life. The homework will help define that "it", and that speck will become clearer.

For those of you who are still setting goals, if you are like me and love acronyms, you might keep the S.M.A.R.T. concept in mind.

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Reasonable
Time-specific

I'm going to focus on the homework for the next few weeks to prepare for 2016. So, for me, there won't be any goals during the holidays except to maintain what I'm doing now that is necessary.

Here are brave Trudy's goals:

I'd like to do at least 10 each week. (read and comment on weekly challenges)
Work on finding an illustrator for my picture book. (By end of February)
Decide which story to do next (either a fairy tale one, one for my granddaughter, or start my Wrigley series). (by end of year)
I'd like to write out a prayer and include each group member's needs once a week. (Immediately)
Start tweaking or writing my next picture book. (By end of January)
Enter the challenge once a week.
Maybe write a devotional for FW once a month.
Work on editing projects and be more encouraging when I edit. (as projects come up)

Our lives are complex. One person has come forward, homeschooling 5 children and working intermittently outside the home. Each of you is busy, however, old adages such as: "Manange time of it will manage you" or "To fail to plan is to plan to fail" are true. Then the Bible says, "Man plans his way, but God directs his steps". The apostle Paul constantly made plans. Some people are under the false assumption Christians simply shouldn't set goals. I once struggled with that; it simply isn't true.

Feel free to comment or ask questions for others following this thread to comment upon!

Well, God bless until tomorrow! Prayers for you as you move forward... :bow

Shann

Postby Shann » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm

lookinup wrote:
Here are brave Trudy's goals:

I'd like to do at least 10 each week. (read and comment on weekly challenges)
Work on finding an illustrator for my picture book. (By end of February)
Decide which story to do next (either a fairy tale one, one for my granddaughter, or start my Wrigley series). (by end of year)
I'd like to write out a prayer and include each group member's needs once a week. (Immediately)
Start tweaking or writing my next picture book. (By end of January)
Enter the challenge once a week.
Maybe write a devotional for FW once a month.
Work on editing projects and be more encouraging when I edit. (as projects come up)

.. :bow

Those in purple were my goals. Trudy had great goals too. Here are hers:

1. I plan to comment on at least five Challenge entries each week - This week accomplished.
2. I plan to enter each Challenge - Whew, I'm still working on this weeks! But wanted to take a break and touch base here.
3. I plan to spent two hours five days a week on these goals.
4. I have a Christmas novel in progress, but for now it is fourth on the list.

With everything else going on, these goals are a real challenge. Please pray that I will be able to hang in there, and complete them each week.

Thanks - Trudy
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Bec
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Bec » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've had a think and decided on my goals.

1. To get up (that's actually out of bed) by 5am each work day morning.
I'm usually an early riser, but find it hard to get to bed at night so that I get a full night's sleep. So I then don't set an alarm thinking that I need my sleep and so if I sleep to 6.30, well, that's okay, right? No, it's not! If I get to bed on time at night I can get up early and write. I happened to wake up and be out of bed by 5.10 this morning and have gotten so much done! And there's still most of the day ahead of me.

2. To stop writing when I'm feeling the prompting of the Holy Spirit that it's time. Again today, I had so much done by 9.30 I was thinking, this is great, I can keep going and achieve so much. But God was telling me, no, stop, you've done enough, (the creative part of writing that is.) It's fine for me to work on things like critiques and answer emails, just not creative work. In the past I've pushed past this barrier and kept on writing even though God had signaled me to stop and the work that resulted was wooden and boring. I've learned my lesson, now I just have to live by it. When God says stop, I have to stop.

3. To stick to the daily routine that God has shown me works.
I'm blessed with a lifestyle that allows me to write full time. God and I have worked together over the last year with many different types of routines. I feel that I've finally worked out a good system, however, there's lots of rest in it! I hate this!!! I want to be working!!! But it seems that God has other plans. His wisdom has been made apparent recently through reading and study I've been doing. It's been made clear to me that writers need lots of time to reflect, rest, let ideas settle, cogitate and observe. This is the time that God built into my routine without me realising that was what he was doing. Now, again, I have to learn to live by it. So my goal is to not be agitated when it's rest time! Instead I need to enjoy the gift that I've been given. (BTW, a 5 am start time is in this routine, I just haven't been sticking to it.)

4. To NOT have any goals about what gets written by when.
All I have to do is stick to the routine I've been given and sit at my desk at the times that I'm supposed to and write what I feel God's prompting me to write in the moment and stop when he says stop. He will decide what gets finished by when. That is out of my hands. (OOOHhhhhhh the FRUSTRATION!)

5. When I've finished a day's work as God has directed, to think about how well I've done, not chastise myself because I didn't get more achieved.

6. To read over these goals every day and remind myself of them.

Well, that turned into a much bigger deal than I thought it was going to!!!

Thanks Shann, Trudi and Catherine for sharing, I"ll pray for you.

Hope to hear how you're all going with your goals soon. I'll report on mine next week.

Shalom,
Bec

trudynewell
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby trudynewell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:33 am

Welcome Bec!

Shann, thanks for catching that. No, they certainly aren't my goals :D By the way, I have a good start on my Challenge piece, finally.

God bless - Trudy

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Stuff Happens

Postby lookinup » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Shann for catching my moment of informational dyslexia that happened when I transferred that information while too tired.  Sorry about that ladies.

I think there's real value in placing these goals on this thread, there for other FW writers. For me, the simple act of just reading  them brings  new awareness,  and rekindles old ones. As writers,  inspiring others is a by-product of what we do, so I feel that has been accomplished in this thread,  or  at least from where I sit.

For some time now,  I've felt discouraged in my writing. I needed freshness and clarity that comes from watching others struggle with issues similar to mine, if not for perspective alone. A few years ago,  I began a Christian writers' group for the same reasons.

Each goal here is active,  specific, attainable, and some have time constraints.  I love that the goals depict so clearly the Holy Spirit's role in our writing ,  the desire to step up involvement in the FW community and serve other writers,  and to apply and live out the diciplines success requires.  Congrats on goals attained. Ashley was so right about the importance of simply reading our goals over regularly.  I know that either I'm too busy when I don't review my goals or my goals are too lofty.

As stated earlier,  I'm not setting actual writing goals before doing the current and upcoming Challenges until the end of the year.  I need to see how, why, and where writing fits into my life, and in regard to other upcoming ministry opportunities. I need clarity. Writing is part of my whole life, not separate from it.

However,  I do need to step up my FW involvement that has waned for the same reasons my 4 hours per day of writing hasn't borne the fruit I'd like to see.

:arrow: Here are my FW- involvement goals:

1. Clean out my inbox of past unwanted writing opportunities to free up room on the FW site.
2. Comment on 3 Challenge entries
3. Complete the book review for the book Mike Edwards sent me in exchange for free Critique Circle credits
4. Critique 3 Critique Circle pieces.

Well, prayers for each of you today, as you go into this Thanksgiving week's goals, and for those reading this doing theirs also..

Congrats Trudy on your success for goals for week #1, and kudos again for putting your goals on this thread first. :clap

(Don't forget to read the goals at the top of this thread too.) :D

HISsparrow
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby HISsparrow » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Okay...I think I finally got my goals together. Bear with me because I have quite a few.

MY GOALS:

- Feeling guilty is not of God. If I don't meet a goal, I will reflect and adjust accordingly. Writing should be an overflow of my heart, not an obligation.

- I will have a structured day. I will get up by 8:30 each day and complete my work so I can sit down to write.

- TV will not be part of my "work" day. If I need a break, I will read a book. Along those lines, I will be in the process of reading some sort of book to broaden my horizons.

- Have at least three 30-minute sessions each weekday whether the time is devoted to character sketches, research, or writing. However, I must be deliberate about how the time is used and only use it for whatever is decided. I'll list anything else that pops into my mind so I can return to the task at hand.

- Be more active on FaithWriters. Check new posts and comment on a Critique Circle and/or Challenge Article daily. I will also participate in at least two Challenges each quarter and request feedback.

- Complete at least the bulk of my character sketches and outline for Current WIP by the end of February.

- Complete first draft of Current WIP by the end of April.

- Complete research, character sketches, outline for Next WIP by the end of June.

- Edit Current WIP to have second draft finished by the end of July.

- Complete first draft of Next WIP by the end of September.

- Edit Current WIP to have third draft finished by the end of November.

- Wrap up anything Current WIP needs by end of 2016.

- Set new goals in 2016.

God Bless!
Ashley

trudynewell
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby trudynewell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:10 pm

This all sounds so great.

I'm proud of our group. Trust that each of you will be encouraged and strengthened to meet the goals God has given you. Know that Mike and I will be praying for you.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Bec
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Bec » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

Welcome Ashley. They are some lofty goals!!! I especially like the one about not feeling guilty and re-evaluating if you haven't been able to be meet a goal. It's the way to go I reckon.

And Catherine, I think yours sound good cause they look achievable.

I'm looking forward to everyone reporting on how they've gone for the week. I'll be praying for all of us.

Bec

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lookinup » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:34 am

I agree Bec, and that goal was a good reminder. Goal setting can become a trap, tying us up in knots, putting us in bondage. Especially over the holidays.

Look forward to sharing our results, and challenges, over
this week's goals on Saturday. New goals on Monday. ANY accomplished goals should be doubly celebrated. Carryover's are fine.

Happy Thanksgiving! So much to be thankful for. Each of you to start this year off with. Feel very blessed.

lookinup
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lookinup » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:28 am

Hi all. Happy After Thanksgiving! Hope yours was as blessed of one as ours was. As far as goals are concerned, it will be interesting to see how those who want to share their forward progress did.

Just a reminder:

Monday I'll post my new personal writing  goals, and hope others will share theirs also, along with any prayer requests, praises, or hurdles crossed. Monday is also the day the weekly Time Stewardship  Challenge will be posted. . Every Saturday is the day to post results for the past week and progress made - for those who would like to share 

My original Week of November 23 2015 goals:

Here are my FW- involvement goals:

1. Clean out my inbox of past unwanted writing opportunities to free up room on the FW site.
2. Comment on 3 Challenge entries
3. Complete the book review for the book Mike Edwards sent me in exchange for free Critique Circle credits
4. Critique 3 Critique Circle pieces.

:arrow: My Results: :clap :bow

#1. My inbox is devoid of excess messages,  containing only those I want to either keep or research further.
#2. I commented on 3 Challenge entries
#4. I critiqued 3 Critique Circle pieces.

#3. I did not complete the book review,  but did download the book' s PDF to my mobile device. This week,  while traveling for medical appt.'s, my goal is to read and then finish a book review the week of December 1st. I'll enter my next week's goals on Monday.

In my life,  what works for me is this. (It would be nice to hear others' goal setting processes. ) Saturday is for assessing my past week's overarching life goals, and setting new ones, including writing. Sunday,  before church,  during an extended morning meditation time,  I examine myself, trying to discern the "why's" behind the goals I have set.  It's there I take my underlying motivations to the Lord. Then, after any adjustments needed,  I pursue my weekly goals.

New Lessons learned or past ones  revisited:

I tackled the goals that were less time-consuming first. It was encouraging to scratch them off my list.

Next

Return to Open Forum - General Writing Discussion