To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Regaining Writing Momentum

General, open discussion regarding writing, getting published, markets, pointers, and other related topics. All are welcome! No advertising, please!

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, beaedwards, cori67, itsjoanne, Sparrow

dmbowman
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Regaining Writing Momentum

Postby dmbowman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Does anyone have tips to offer on how to regain writing momentum after an extended break?

Much of the past year has been taken up with illness, then buying a mold-free house, remodeling it, moving in, and unpacking. Now I'm ready to dig back in to writing but can't seem to get going again. Suggestions?

:sofa

itsjoanne

Re: Regaining Writing Momentum

Postby itsjoanne » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 am

My first thought is freewriting. Set a timer (10 minutes, maybe?) and sit down and write whatever comes to mind -even if it is the same word over and over. Most likely, you will eventually get something else going.

Also, with all you've had going on, writing about what has kept you from writing is also a good start.

Or, in a few weeks, write something for the writing challenge (or even pick an old topic and write that - then post it in free reprints.

Shann

Re: Regaining Writing Momentum

Postby Shann » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Your timing is funny. I haven't written for myself in over a year. I've been sick and doing editing so I just didn't feel motivated. Then my daughter called and she needed a story for a lesson plan she was doing and she needed it soon. I wanted to crawl back into bed but my daughter needed me. I went through old challenges and found one that would kind of work and then totally rewrote it to meet my daughter's needs. Having a deadline (and my daughter calling and texting asking if I was done) helped a lot. I wrote a story that would fit her lesson plan, but then she wanted it from three different POVs. It turned out really fun and she loved it. I ended up coming up with an idea and writing 4 stories in 12 hours. Actual writing time including rewrites was more like 3 or 4 hours, but I felt so good to do it again.

Maybe you could do something similar to just get going. Go through your challenges (I picked an early one because they need rewriting anyway). Try to find one with at least 3 characters and then write the story from each character's point of view. I'll try to post mine to show you what I did. I can't do it know, but will add the link when I do.

I think the most important thing is to have a deadline. A real deadline works better for me, but perhaps you can do well with a self-imposed one.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to Open Forum - General Writing Discussion